Bandcamp and iTunes.
- THE WORKS OF EDGAR ALLEN POE: Here’s a link to all his stories and poems. His macabre and dark approach to writing has touched many across the globe
- THE WORKS OF H.P LOVECRAFT: Another gothic writer whose style is both suspenseful and vivid
- THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW: Another classic, beware of the headless horseman
- THE TURN OF THE SCREW: A tale about a governess who becomes convinced that she and her charges are being stalked by ghosts.
- THE MONKEY’S PAW: You probably have heard of this one. Be careful what you wish for.
- THE LOTTERY: It might not seem like a horror story, but once you realize what’s happening you will definitly be horrified. If you don’t understand here’s a site that will clear some things up
- WHERE ARE YOU GOING, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN: About a 15 year old girl’s encounter with a threatening but charismatic stranger. A popular dark tale.
- THE SIGNAL MAN: By Charles Dickon’s, a railroad worker tells the story of a ghost that seems to appear to him as a premonition of some horrible railway tragedy
- THE MORTAL IMMORTAL: Mary Shelley may have been known for Frankenstein, but here’s another dark tale by her. It’s the story of a man who wants to play God, but finds his sanity is the price
- THE WOMAN IN BLACK: You probably have heard of the movie, but read the classic story behind it. Whenever she is seen, a child dies.
BONUS: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: I read this for my Gothic Literature class in high school. I loved it. A dark novel with plenty of twists to keep you on the edge.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Masterpost of Gothic Novels
Nintendo confirmed today that if you pre-order Super Smash Bros for the 3DS at any Target store, it’ll come with an exclusive Zero Suit DLC alt costume for Wario!
Even Wario has enough fashion sense to know the Rocket heels are ugly and clashy as hell.
GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT
"Remember the tale of the great wizard Nikos. Once, in the woods, he beheld a unicorn sleeping with his head in the lap of a giggling virgin, while three hunters advanced with drawn bows to slay him for his horn. Nikos had only a moment to act. With a word and a wave, he changed the unicorn into a handsome young man, who woke, and seeing the astonished bowmen gaping there, charged upon them and killed them all. His sword was of a twisted, tapering design, and he trampled the bodies when the men were dead."
"And the girl?" the unicorn asked. "Did he kill the girl too?"
"No, he married her. He said she was only an aimless child, angry at her family, and that all she really needed was a good man. Which he was, then and always, for Nikos could never give him back his first form. He died old and respected - of a surfeit of violets, some say - he could never get enough violets. There were no children."
The story lodged itself somewhere in the unicorn’s breath. “The magician did him no service, but great ill,” she said softly. “How terrible it would be if all my people had been turned human by well-meaning wizards - exiled, trapped in burning houses. I would sooner find that the Red Bull had killed them all.”
But sure enough, we opened up the game to find four player heroes to choose from, and at least two dozen villains, and not a female in sight.
“What girl can I be?” Cassie asked, digging through the game pieces.
“I don’t think there are any girls, sweetie,” I said, anger building in me. Cause really, DC & Wonder Forge? WTF? You know it’s 2014, right?
Cassie put down the game pieces. “I don’t want to play this, then.” She turned and moved to leave the room, and it broke my heart. In part for her, and in part because I love superheroes, and this should be something we can share.
When comics and game designers exclude or otherwise diminish the role of female characters, they are really telling girls they are not welcome. That sure, they can play, but they can’t have full immersion. Full immersion is for boys only.
And fuck that.
I fixed this shitty game, but I shouldn’t have had to. We have a right to expect (and demand) that comics companies and the game designers they license to do better. Sure, it’s a free country and they have a right to make boys-only games if they want, but we don’t need to support it, or stay quiet about it.
I literally just woke up thank you for this
One time right after my alarm went off for school a random number I didn’t know called me and I answered and this played and then they hung up and I had a great day.
My mom loves chickens and Dia De Los Muertos and I love my mom, so I made this painting for her.